Spell, grammar and style checker
Stilus allows you to check the spelling and style of your texts in various languages, according to your linguistic preferences and using any computer equipped with a standard browser or Microsoft Word.
Stilus improves the quality or your texts It is an automated proofreader to check the spelling, grammar, typography and style of your texts, reaching a high level of linguistic precision and recall.
Context-sensitive checking The Stilus Natural Language Processing technology makes it possible to detect «real» errors according to the linguistic context. For this reason, Stilus far surpasses other automated proofreaders that employ surface analysis techniques.
Four levels of revision Not only can Stilus verify that your texts conform to the spelling and grammar rules, it also makes suggestions on style and typographical issues. And if you request a check report, Stilus will distinguish them by colors: spelling - red, grammar - green, typography - yellow and style - blue.
Complete and thorough revisions that are up-to-date The distinctive features of Stilus are its broad lexical coverage, constant updates, and great linguistic rigor. Texts are proofread according to the uses proposed by language institutions and authorities.
Decide upon the proofreading suggestions Unlike other proofreading applications, Stilus does not rewrite your text automatically. The user always has control over text revision.
Stilus can identify more words than other proofreaders. It incorporates a huge multilingual lexical base of 9.5 millions of words (with 160,000 proper nouns). Its dictionaries are maintained up-to-date constantly by adding newly created words (neologisms), and names of famous persons, organizations or countries from the contemporary social scenario.
- A high lexical coverage reduces possible false warnings on spelling, and helps us to write proper names if we are doubtful about their spelling.
- As Stilus is context-sensitive, the use of homophone pairs can be verified.
- Likewise, Stilus can detect wrong word formations, or foreign words wrongly adapted to a language.
Stilus handles many orthographical issues too, for instance:
- It verifies the opening and closing of pair of signs (quotation marks, parenthesis, brackets…).
- It checks spacing: double spaces, required spaces, or the lack thereof, between typographic signs, words, and so on.
- It warns of wrong sequences of punctuation marks.
- It checks punctuation in abbreviations.
- It verifies the correct or incorrect uses of upper and lower case.
- It advises on the use of italics in foreign words.
- Thanks to its potential for disambiguation, Stilus is able to detect many agreement errors within different sentence levels.
- Other confusing syntactic aspects are also considered, such as disagreement between different verbal tenses or errors related to prepositional government.
Stilus is an automatic proofreading tool. Therefore, unlike human proofreaders, it cannot verify thoroughly semantic coherence and cohesion in texts. However, it provides hundreds of usage recommendations from manuals of style and language consultation books.
- It gives advices on the preferred spelling variants.
- It warns on lexical misuses.
- It offers alternatives to foreign words and expressions.
- To detect paragraphs that may be unclear or difficult to read, Stilus can find abusive prepositional or adverbial usages, or too long sentences. It can also check tautology (a statement in which you say the same thing twice using different words).
- Finally, it controls the use of language (or dialectal) variants, technical words, and linguistic register (use of colloquial words, archaisms, and so on).